24 November 2012

vanilla cake. brown butter buttercream.

The other weekend at work, it was one of the prep cook's birthday at work. Only being told this the day of, I knew I still had to make him a cake even if it would come a day late. So trying to think of something he would like, I couldn't really come up with anything. Even though I work with him all the time, a language difference is kind of a barrier so I couldn't say I know him all too well. I decided to go with a classic, for me, but always a crowd pleaser. Vanilla cake with brown butter frosting. Simple but with that hint of something special. 

The cake I made for him was a four layer, probably about 5 inch round mini cake. I rolled the whole thing in clear sanding sugar, which looked nice, but maybe a little too girly for a guy's 50th birthday. Oh well, it was sparkly for a celebration. Haha. 

I also made a 8 inch 2 layer so I could finally have something to post! `I quite like how the photos came out. Generally when I see other people's photos that are so dark, I never can seem to find light like that in my apartment. But with the sun setting earlier and living by myself so I can set up the room how ever I see fit, I seem to have found it through my front window. Yes now this involves rearranging the entire apartment, moving my giant bed and dragging my heavy wooden able across the room, but worth it. 





JulieMarieCraig75







cakebb_1






cakebb_2







cakebb_4


Vanilla Cake.                                                     
*makes two 8 inch round layers

125g butter soft
200g sugar
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp salt
300g all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
160ml buttermilk

350F oven. Butter and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
Cream butter and sugar until pale and very fluffy.
Add in vanilla bean paste and salt then eggs one at a time.
Whisk the flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
Add half the flour mix to the butter mix. Mix until combined.
Add half the buttermilk. Mix until combined.
Then the remaining flour, the remaining buttermilk.
Do not over mix.
Divide evenly among pan.
Bake until lightly golden on top and set through, 25 minutes or so but really it depends on your oven, so always check it.
Remove from pans onto a rack and let cool completely.

Brown Butter Buttercream.                                        
*might make a bit extra frosting, but isn't that always a good thing?

226g butter
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp molasses
pinch of salt
750g powdered sugar, sifted
118ml milk

Place butter in a pan over medium heat. Cook until the butter becomes a rich amber color and little brown flecks appear at the bottom of pan. Stir quite often as to not burn it. Pour into a bowl, scraping in the little brown flecks, and let set in the refrigerator until it is the consistency of softened butter.
Beat the butter, vanilla bean paste and molasses until combined. Add in half the powdered sugar and half the milk. Beat until combined. Add in remaining. Beat until very fluffy. You may need more milk or sugar depending on how stiff you want it.

Spread over cooled cake. Eat.




cakebb_5










Introducing....... Bleu!





cakebb

I realized I never put up a photo of my new cat. I got her maybe 2 months ago and those first few months were rough. I fed her the exact same food the previous owner had, but she threw it up constantly. And in horrible places. Like on my bed. On my comforter. I was having to go to he laundromat constantly. So after trying a few different brands, she seems to be all settled now. Thank god! 

23 comments:

Veronika said...

I love your Cake, I love Your cat!:)

Mikayla Sweitzer said...

you are just the cutest! and your cat! and your cake! :)

mikayla@myfairbaking.blogspot.com

Margherita said...

I love the use of molasses in the buttercream. I might need to find me some vanilla bean paste in order to this recipe!

Courtney said...

I found your blog through a pin on Pinterest and have really enjoyed your beautiful photos and great recipes... I've even tried a few of them myself! Thanks for sharing!

SugarHigh Maintenance said...

looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks so delicious! And there is nothing like having a cat to curl up on the end of your bed and keep you company on a winter night.

Joy said...

Love this! looks super yummy.

m_b said...

your cake looks gorgeous and delicious! how did you get that beautiful swirled effect?

Julie Marie said...

@marissa
Thanks! For the swirl I just flatted the top and then on a rotating cake stand, just pressed in with an off set while spinning it. (There is a YouTube video by the owner of Miette that shows it)

Stephen B Craig said...

Dad approves.

Alicia said...

Yum! This looks just like what I need to make next after everyone has polished the orange, carrot coffee cake that I made yesterday.

Laura Dembowski said...

How nice of you to make cake for people you work with! The cake looks stunning. Your cat is also adorable. Good that she is feeling better.

Agnese said...

That's wonderful! Love the light in the photos :)

jehanne@thecookingdoctor.co.uk said...

Love the swirl on top, I always stumble on deliciousness every time I visit your blog:-)

Unknown said...

I love the cake ( I too make cakes for birthdays at work...I call it my side job.) and feel the same way about dark photos. I love them, but find it difficult to replicate in my own kitchen. You did a great job and I love your styling.

Jill said...

Your photography is just gorgeous! I'm crazy about the lighting and your styling.

marie said...

a french name for you cat... great. but her eyes are green :) I used to call one of my cat Yellow (because of the coldplay song). i have two cats now one with a roman emperor names : Titus and a white one with the name of a russian river : Neva. Marie from Paris

Anonymous said...

Your cat has the deepest green eyes ever!

Suzanne said...

The brown butter icing is fabulous on this cake! Especially like the molasses touch.

Anonymous said...

Loving your blog! Can't wait to try this:)

Cindy Loughridge said...

Photography is always about moving furniture or household items around. I'm going to try and make your cake next Thursday.

Melody said...

yes I think you nailed it, lovely light/dark photos. Gonna try that cake also.

Unknown said...

These are looking delicious !!

cake stand